When a sump pump fails, the results can be catastrophic. Not only can floodwater destroy everything in your basement, it can also put the structural integrity of your home at risk. Here are some of the most common reasons that sump pumps fail to protect your home.
1. Old age – A sump pump is like another household appliance in that it wears out with age. While proper maintenance will extend the life of your pump, you should still consider replacing it every five to seven years. Look for a pump that is made out of a heavy-duty material, such as steel or cast iron, which will endure through extended use.
2. Power outages – If your power goes out, then any sump pump tied to the grid will obviously stop working. But a pump’s ability to work can also be compromised if it is plugged into an extension cord, or into an outlet that shares the same circuit breaker. Both of these can cause the pump to receive low voltage, which forces it to draw higher amps and run hotter. This can substantially shorten the pump’s life span.
3. Incorrect installation – If a pump is not installed correctly, the motor may be forced to work harder than it was designed to work. This, of course, will lead to the motor burning out prematurely. You should always call a professional plumber to make sure that your pump is installed the right way.
4. Improperly sized pump – If your pump is too small, it will have to run constantly to keep up with the stress your putting it through. Make sure you use the most severe flooding possible as a gauge when you purchase a system.
5. Manufacturer defects – This is one of the least common reasons that a pump will fail. However, defects do occur, and many times they are not noticeable until it is too late. To protect yourself as best as you can from this problem, make sure the pump is working as designed when it is first installed.
Trust in the plumbing experts at Jones Services to find and fix any of your sump pump problems. Don’t wait until your knee deep in a basement flood, if you’re having problems with your sump pump, call us today.