Air conditioning in need of a tune-up is the worst when you want to cool off from the sweltering heat of summer. A damaged air conditioner is worse than just some discomfort- an air conditioner poorly maintained can result in some nasty home damages and costly repairs. Nobody wants to deal with mold, leaking toxic refrigerant, or even worse, a potential house fire, but those are real dangers you can face if you don’t take proper care of your air conditioner.
What You Should Look For In a Damaged AC Unit
Determining if you need an ac tune-up means knowing what to look for, and that can be tricky. An air conditioner requires some routine cleaning and maintenance, but if something is wrong, there are a few distinct warning signs. If you suspect something is wrong with your air conditioner, it’s best to contact a professional. A licensed HVAC technician knows what to look for and can offer you the most effective solution. Air conditioners tend to live up to 15 years, and they’re costly to replace. To prolong the life of your ac unit and potentially avoid some costly repairs, here’s what you should look for.
- If you smell something funky. Air conditioners collect a lot of dust, dirt, and debris which combined with damp, moist air, can help mold form inside your ac unit or air ducts. If you smell something musty coming from your ac unit, you’re in need of an air conditioning tune-up immediately. Another possible culprit is the air conditioner’s wire insulation has burned out. Either problem can lead to some safety hazards are best treated immediately.
- If you hear grating, squealing sounds. If your air conditioner is making unusual noises, you’ll want to turn off the ac unit immediately as there could be a broken component inside. A squealing noise, for example, means that the belt slipped out of place or that a metal component needs more lubrication. If you hear a grinding sound, that could indicate that the motor’s bearings are broken.
- If you notice any water or moisture pooling around the ac unit. If you notice a leak around your air conditioner, it’s generally for two reasons. Your ac unit could be leaking refrigerant, and if so, your air conditioner needs an ac tune up immediately. The other reason for a leak is the drain tube, which disposes of the condensation that builds up in your air conditioner, is either blocked or broken. Mold can form from excess moisture, so any leak you find from your air conditioning unit should be repaired immediately.
- If you don’t feel any cool air. At some point, you might notice that your air conditioner is simply not doing its job. If your ac unit is set at full blast, and you still feel nothing, then your air conditioner is in need of a serious ac tune-up. The lack of cool air coming from your ac unit could mean the compressor has failed, or possibly the unit’s Freon levels are too low. If no cool air is coming out of your air conditioner, however, it could be time for a replacement.
- If you notice there’s poor airflow. Weak air flow can be another sign that something is wrong with your air conditioner’s compressor. If you feel cool air coming in some rooms, but not others, then there could be an issue with the air ducts which requires an urgent ac tune-up. Over time dust and debris collect inside your air ducts and can restrict airflow, which not only overworks your air conditioner, but poses a health threat to your household.
- If you find ice on the compressor. There should never be ice building up on your air conditioner. If you start finding icicles on your ac unit, that could be caused by a coolant leak, which can be a common problem with older units. A damaged coil is likely to be another culprit for ice forming on your ac unit. Sometimes the issue can even be an old filter, which clogs the system, interrupts the airflow and causes the unit to overheat. An overheated air conditioner, oddly enough, can cause ice to appear on the outside of the unit. Whatever causes the ice to form on your air conditioner, it’s best to call a professional to identify and fix the problem.
It’s Time to Stay Cool, Worry and Cost Free
Repairing or replacing an air conditioner can be costly, even more so, if you’re dealing mold or a refrigerant leak. Routine cleaning and maintenance not only prolongs the life of your air conditioner, it keeps it running effectively so you can remain comfortable.
Don’t hesitate to call Jones Services if you need to tune-up your air conditioning!